22.7.15

TAD 6L6WGC-STR (review)

Time to check some current production tubes for my Victorious 24,
After a few other brands tested, I realise this TAD 6L6WGC-STR, are pretty good soundwise.
The bass is spot on for this amp's tone knob, means I can bring it down without getting mushy or too bassy. The highs also had a nice sparkling clarity, and they create a nice round crunchy sound when pushed. The sound is dynamic, and has dimension. Other current production tubes I tried sounded a bit dead and dry woody, compared to this...
I biased it medium 60% plate dissipation (45 mAh at 350v) , and it gave me already a nice tone. Other tubes needed a bit more to be satisfactory for my taste.
So it allowed me to go down to my 5u4gb rectifier again, to give me some sag, without killing the clarity. Yes I guess this will be my "go to" Current production 6L6, for this amp.